Monday, March 1, 2010

Book Review: On The Road, by Jack Kerouac

I decided to read On The Road, by Jack Keruoac, for this challenge because I usually love the classics and I figured it would have a lot of say about LOST. Oh how wrong I was!

I absolutely hated this book. When my husband sees a movie he ends up not liking, he always says "Well, that's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back." In this case, this audio book took 11.25 hours of my life that I'll never get back!

If you want to know what I disliked so much about this book check out my complete review on my blog.


*** Relation to LOST ***

The point of this book, in my mind, is that avoiding responsibility and living always “in the moment” can give you a fulfilling life. Not sure if that was what the author was intending to say but that’s what I got out of it. And, of course, I totally disagree with that. Because of my animosity toward this book I didn’t give much thought to the LOST connection. Instead I relied on the internet to tell me what makes this book special to the show.

Here’s what LOSTpedia had to say: “When Ben checks into the hotel in [the episode] The Shape of Things to Come, he uses Dean Moriarty as a pseudonym. Moriarty is a principal character in Kerouac's famous work.”

Seriously?! THAT is why this book is related to LOST?! Ugh. That’s what I get for not looking at LOSTpedia before making my book list …

4 comments:

  1. I tried to read Dharma Bums a few years ago and I couldn't get into it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh...sorry your lost half a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big kerouac fan and I don't really see a connection between lost and on the road. I think Mr Lieber and Mr Lindelof were just showing homage to a writer they admire as many writers do.

    ReplyDelete