OH.MY.GOSH. The first few minutes of LOST have knocked me for a loop! Here's what happened before the first commercial break:
- a pregnant woman washes up on the beach and is discovered by another woman - is that Greek they are speaking? I think we're going to get Jacob's backstory tonight!
- Jacob is born and wrapped in a white blanket. His unnamed male twin is born and wrapped in a black blanket. The dichotomy begins early ....
- Momma wants to see her boys but the other lady KILLS HER?! Say WHAT?! I didn't see that one coming.
- The boys are growing up. Jacob is honest and open while his brother is secretive and can lie. Meanwhile Mama manipulates them and has somehow made it so that the boys cannot die nor can they hurt each other.
- They boys are playing the black/white game.
- Men come to the island and Mama takes the boys and shows them "the light of the world" - or something like it. Mama says that is the reason they are on the island. She is the protector and one day, one of the boys will take over that job. The unnamed twin is excited by this.
- Mama also says that if this light goes out here, it's counterparts (which are inside of people everywhere) will also go out. It sounds as though this would be a serious problem.
- The black twin tells Jacob that one day he'll be able to make up his own rules that everyone will have to follow.
- The black twin also sees the ghost of his mother, but Jacob can't see her. Ghost-Momma tells him the truth about where he came from.
- Black twin tries to get Jacob to run away with him but it doesn't work. They get in a fight and Mama breaks it up. She tells the black twin that no matter what he's been told, he'll never be able to leave the island. This doesn't stop him from running away.
- Mama confesses to Jacob that she killed his mother to help him "stay good" ... ?!?!?! Jacob decides to stay with Mama for a while.
- Jacob learned to weave from his Mama. And he spends a lot of time watching his brother and the other people.
- Jacob and the black twin get together to play the black/white game. The black twin is still mad at Mama.
- Is it just me or does Jacob come across as rather simple-minded?
- The black twin has been digging and found a way to get to the "light of the world" under the island. He's going to try to leave the island by harnessing the power of the light. Enter "the donkey wheel".
- Mama tried to kill the black twin. Hey Mama, can I tell you a secret? Your plan doesn't work out ...
- Mama says Jacob has to be the one to protect the island but he doesn't want to. She makes him drink something and says that now "we are the same" - what is this magical drink and what has it done?
- The black twin wakes up to find that his hole has been filled in, his village burned, and all his people killed. It looks like the work of the smoke monster ... is that who Mama really is?
- The black twin just killed Mama, and she thanked him for it?! She also said that she couldn't let him leave because she loved him.
- The black twin is trying to convince Jacob not to hurt/kill him. Jacob forces the black twin to go into the "light of the world" tunnel. And here comes SMOKEY!
- Jacob found the black twin washed up in the river, dead. Jacob was quite sad about this, despite the fact that he basically tried to kill him earlier.
- Mama and the black twin are the Adam and Eve skeletons from the start of the show!!!
There were a lot of biblical references tonight but I didn't include them because I can't remember them now. I noticed them as the show went on, but when I was writing on the commercial breaks they slipped my mind.
Kiddo was happy that I let him stay up until 10pm on a school night to watch this with me, but the episode was so good (and relatively tame in adult content department) that I couldn't bear to send him to bed in the middle of it like I usually do.
So, what did you all think of this week's episode? Do you think they'll be able to cram enough into next week and the series finale to give us the ending that we're hoping for?