Tuesday, February 24, 2009
John Locke: Christ figure?
Rebecca commented on my recap last week that we should be discussing the Christ imagery around Locke. It is something that's really puzzling me, so why not?
First of all, it's puzzling me because why Locke? I mean, a lot of people can't stand him! However, he has always seemed like he absolutely believes he has a destiny, so I guess in that regard it sort of does.
So let's look at the evidence:
1) Locke has always been sort of "the chosen one"
2) John Locke's dead body flew back to the island on airline 316. (this one just screams it to me)
3) Locke sacrificed his life to save others. (i.e. we are led to believe at this point, that only his death would get the attention of the Oceanic 6 and get them back to the island to save the others)
4) Only Locke can see and commune with Jacob whom we are led to believe is a sort of god of the island or something.
5) Not to mention a nice little conversation about Jesus and doubting Thomas between Ben and the biggest skeptic Jack shortly before they go.
Feel free to add more in comments.
It seems from previews that Locke is going to, um, raise from the dead? I have to admit I just don't understand how in the world this fits into the LOST story. I need help with this....