Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Book Review: The Turn of the Screw, by Henry James

Here's an excerpt from my review of THE TURN OF THE SCREW, by Henry James.
From what I can tell ... the phrase turn of the screw originally "referred to torture where each turn of the screw amplified the pain of the subject." In modern language it usually refers to a plot twist, or more particularly "an action which makes a bad situation worse, especially in order to force someone to do something."

...

This is a brief but creepy tale and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the framework of the story, beginning as it does with a "true story" being told to friends late in the evening. I got so caught up in the story of the governess that I forgot about the tale within a tale until long after I finished the book. It's stories like this that you wish for when you're camping out in the wilderness and sitting around a fire ... or maybe you don't!
You can read the rest on my blog at this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment